Being a true boss in your business using creativity & experimentation with Emily Thompson from Being Boss
I have had some really amazing guests on the podcast lately and they have left me feeling inspired to aim higher than ever before. Today’s chat with another accomplished, creative business owner gave me a huge boost to go after my new direction - helping clients build membership models that really work - with excitement and confidence.
Emily Thompson is the co-founder of Being Boss and the CEO of Almanac Supply Co. She’s also the host of the well-known Being Boss Podcast, which has been helping creative entrepreneurs navigate the world of business for several years by exploring the mindsets, habits, and tactics of harnessing your creative ambitions.
Emily and I talk about how Being Boss and Almanac Supply Co came to be and how she juggles these two very different businesses. She walks us through the whirlwind rise of the Being Boss Podcast, hosting live events with her community, and what ultimately led Emily and her co-founder Kathleen to burnout. Emily also shares why she decided to buy Kathleen out of her piece of Being Boss and how she knew she wanted to continue to nurture that community rather than start another business from scratch.
Emily shares so much awesome wisdom in this episode about connecting with incredible peers, building a business through creativity and experimentation, and why she doesn’t have much time for impostor syndrome or fearing failure. She leaves us with some wise words about the growth of communities and membership groups as a business model, making this a perfect contribution to Membership Month (and you can catch the other Membership Month episodes here).
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- Why Emily has two very different businesses - one a retail business and the other a membership community - and how she juggles them.
- Why it was important to her to continue running her own business alongside Being Boss, rather than solely focus on the podcast and its thriving community.
- What Emily learned about building and nurturing a community from the early days of Being Boss, which was a perfect arena for her to hone her creativity and experimentation in business.
- How she recovered from the burnout that showed up after an exciting, exhausting few years of Being Boss and why she decided to stick with the business after initially wanting to shut it down entirely.
- How Emily uses experimentation and quick decision-making to keep her business evolving ahead of the curve.
- What she anticipates in the membership model space and how she keeps her own community fresh, supportive and interesting for her members.
Links mentioned in this show
- Emily Thompson | Being Boss | Almanac Supply Co | Being Boss Podcast
- Sign up to be the first to know about the Scaling Deep Marketing Lounge, a new membership program for coaches, consultants & professionals who need consistent support to build their brave brand with bold marketing.
- The ultimate guide to scaling your brand with a membership program
- Ready to build your Noticeable Brand? Download my 5-step framework for building a brand that can’t be ignored.
Subscribe & Review on Apple Podcast
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If not, I'd like to encourage you to do that right now. I don’t want you to miss an episode. I’m adding an in-depth interview with personable business owners who are still in the trenches so the learning is current.
Now if you’re feeling extra connected to what we've shared, I would LOVE it if you left me a review over on iTunes, too. Those reviews help other people find my podcast and they’re also giving me great feedback on how I'm doing. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what part of the podcast moved you. Thanks so much!