The time for transparency and ethics in the online business world is now with Maggie Patterson
Following on from last time, I’m continuing to explore ideas of values-based positioning, thought-leadership and showing up with intent. My guest today is Maggie Patterson, who last appeared on the podcast in November 2019 - see Episode 47: Amplify your visibility & revenue by focusing on fewer things with Small Business Boss Maggie Patterson.
Recently Maggie has been getting more vocal about the unethical business activities she has seen in the small business world, through her Small Business Boss website and The BS-Free Service Business Show podcast.
And this has been the perfect inspiration for me as I’ve been deciding where I’m drawing a line in the sand for my own business and message. I’ve been thinking deeply on ethics, service delivery commitment and transparency for my own brand. These are topics I’ve always been passionate about and intend to be more open about in my business.
In this episode, Maggie talks about her passion for consumer advocacy, how some elements of the online business status quo are broken, and why clients and customers now have more expectations about the brands they engage with.
What You’ll Learn From This Episode:
- Why Maggie has always been interested in holding businesses to account,
- How businesses acknowledged (or didn’t acknowledge) the seismic events of 2020 - and why it matters to clients and consumers.
- Why small businesses are ideally placed to show up for their customers in way that acknowledges what is happening in the moment.
- Why being transparent and ethical is important to clients, and how this disrupts accepted business practices.
- The value of beginning your business relationships from a position of honesty, and why small businesses should trust their own values.
- The dangers of trying to achieve artificial revenue goals - and why these goals are manufactured in order to sell something.
- The ways in which some of the stories that businesses tell their clients are false, unhelpful and unethical.
Have you signed up for my upcoming Profitable Membership Summit yet? Running from February 23-26, this summit is aimed at coaches, consultants and professionals who want to grow their business through membership programmes. Register for FREE at profitablemembershipsummit.com and check out my All Access and VIP packages.
Links to Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
Subscribe & Review on Apple Podcast
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If not, I'd like to encourage you to do that right now. I don’t want you to miss an episode. I’m adding an in-depth interview with personable business owners who are still in the trenches so the learning is current.
Now if you’re feeling extra connected to what we've shared, I would LOVE it if you left me a review over on iTunes, too. Those reviews help other people find my podcast and they’re also giving me great feedback on how I'm doing. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what part of the podcast moved you. Thanks so much!