How to ‘network up’ to meet your biggest clients & when to trademark with Autumn Witt Boyd
I have to be honest - when I sat down to have my chat with today’s guest, I thought it was going to be a straightforward, slightly dry conversation about trademarks and law for online businesses. I’m happy to say that guess was totally off, because my conversation with Autumn Witt Boyd ended up being so much fun while staying super informative, too. Once you hear Autumn talk about her work and the joy she brings to it, you’ll see what I mean.
Autumn Witt Boyd is an award-winning intellectual property lawyer and the founder of AWB Firm. Autumn and her team work one-on-one with business owners to help them protect everything they’ve built, including courses and other IP. They also create plenty of contract templates for business coaches, content creators, contractors, and other in-demand online business roles.
Autumn and I kick off our conversation with some of the common mistakes new business owners make when it comes to contracts and trademarks. She talks about when it makes sense to go through the trademarking process, how long it typically takes, and why it’s so important to get your legal ducks in row in the early stages of your business. We chat about contracts too and how to protect yourself & your value as your business grows.
Then Autumn and I talked about how she’s scaled her own business by investing in relationships, offering contract templates, and networking with some amazing entrepreneurs. I learned so much from this conversation, and not just about law. I hope you leave feeling just as inspired as I did!
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- How Autumn moved into the online business world after working for other law firms for over a decade.
- Why new business owners need to get their contracts sorted out in the early days of business, rather than after something bad happens.
- Why Autumn doesn’t think every business owner needs a lawyer right off the bat.
- What the process of getting a trademark looks like, how long it takes, and a ballpark estimate of what it costs.
- How to gauge whether or not you should trademark your business name, course name, or other intellectual property.
- What Autumn has done in her own business to build a top-notch virtual team and attract some big-name clients.
- How she landed some of her biggest clients with a bold networking idea.
Links mentioned in this show
- Autumn Witt Boyd | AWB Firm | Legal Road Map Podcast
- US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) Trademark Search
- Being Boss Podcast
- The Boss Mom Podcast
- Check out my FREE training: How to Create and Sell Your Scalable Offer - Even with a Small List! It covers how to build your scalable offer, set it up, position it, and start seeing sales. This training has tons to offer, whether you’re new to scalable offers or you’ve built them before and want better results.
- Want to figure out the marketing plan that perfectly aligns with your business model? Download my Scaling Deep Marketing Roadmap! It’s designed to help you make great decisions in your marketing, waste less time, and create a marketing plan that will get you consistent results.
Subscribe & Review on Apple Podcast
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If not, I'd like to encourage you to do that right now. I don’t want you to miss an episode. I’m adding an in-depth interview with personable business owners who are still in the trenches so the learning is current.
Now if you’re feeling extra connected to what we've shared, I would LOVE it if you left me a review over on iTunes, too. Those reviews help other people find my podcast and they’re also giving me great feedback on how I'm doing. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what part of the podcast moved you. Thanks so much!