Turning a unique skill set into an agency, program & SAAS product with Media Maven Christina Nicholson
Some of the most amazing entrepreneurs I meet have taken skills honed in another profession and brought them to the world of business. These people tend to build pretty awesome businesses once they get the right coaching and direction, because they bring a clear, powerful value proposition to the table and a great sense of what their market really needs. And today’s guest has done exactly that in the world of publicity and pitching.
Christina Nicholson is an award-winning journalist with more than a decade of experience in live TV. She also mentors other business owners by teaching them how to be their own publicist and trains small businesses owners in a step-by-step method with videos, worksheets, checklists, guides and private mentoring calls. Her newest project, Podcast Clout, is a Software as a Service (SaaS) venture that builds customized pitch lists of the top podcasts.
To start off Christina and I talk about her work in media and journalism and what she realized about all the not-so-great pitches she received on a daily basis. She walks us through the transition to freelance work and how she decided (after a bit of hesitation) to build a public relations agency. We chat about some of the lessons she’s learned along the way, including why coaching is so valuable and the importance of building a business model that suits your lifestyle & needs.
Then Christina tells us about Podcast Clout, the SaaS product subscription service she’s building with an awesome team of developers to fill a huge hole in the podcast publicity market. Christina has a lot of fascinating stuff going on in her business - you’re going to love hearing about it all.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- How Christina used her skills from a career in TV to start freelancing as a public relations professional.
- Why she was initially hesitant to build up a PR agency and why the right hire changed her mind.
- What Christina has learned from building up her team, managing an agency, running a mentorship program, creating a product, and running a lifestyle blog.
- How the Profit First method has shaped her approach to revenue vs. profit in her business.
- Why Christina decided to work with a business coach after her first two years and how she made the most of it.
- How she decided to create a SaaS product for fellow publicity professionals and why she’s hiring smart people to make it happen.
Links mentioned in this show
- Christina Nicholson | Media Maven | Become a Media Maven Podcast | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube
- Free Course: Pitch, Publicity, Profit
- Profit First
- Want to figure out the marketing plan that perfectly aligns with your business model? Download my Scaling Deep Marketing Roadmap! It’s designed to help you make great decisions in your marketing, waste less time, and create a marketing plan that will get you consistent results.
Subscribe & Review on Apple Podcast
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If not, I'd like to encourage you to do that right now. I don’t want you to miss an episode. I’m adding an in-depth interview with personable business owners who are still in the trenches so the learning is current.
Now if you’re feeling extra connected to what we've shared, I would LOVE it if you left me a review over on iTunes, too. Those reviews help other people find my podcast and they’re also giving me great feedback on how I'm doing. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what part of the podcast moved you. Thanks so much!